Monday, October 21, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

Hello .......
I was busy today, but I made chicken pot pie early in the day, so it would be ready to pop in the oven.
I found a wonderful recipe in an older magazine (don't remember what it was), and found it to be the easiest I had ever tried, and the most delicious..  So it is now a go-to recipe at least every two weeks, for this family.  As you can see, chicken, peas, carrots, celery and onions, plus a nice gravy, cover it with a bought pie crust.  You can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge til you are ready for it, later in the day.  
When you are ready to put it in the oven, ju
st make some slices into the crust, brush with egg and water,  bake.  Yummmmmm!      


Looks good, eh?   Recipe below.    Enjoy

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
                                Meanwhile, cook 4 small potatoes (optional) , cubed 1/2 " pieces, until fairly tender.  Drain.                                                                     
                                                            

Bake two chicken breasts about 20 min. Or until cooked thru.  Heat 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet and add 3 large carrots,  diced, and 1 med. onion, chopped.  Season with salt and pepper to taste, about 1/2 tsp. each, along with 2 bay leaves, and 3/4 tsp. garlic powder.   Cook 3 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, then add 2 large celery stalks, chopped, and cook about 4 minutes more, or until tender.  Sprinkle 1/4 cup  flour over veggies and stir in, adding a tablespoon of butter, if necessary.  Gradually stir in 1 and 1/2 14.5 cans of low salt chicken broth to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer for just a few minutes, to thicken the gravy, then add in cubed chicken, potatoes and peas.  Remove bay leaves, and add in 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, if desired.  Turn off heat, and let sit for ten minutes.  Roll out a refrigerated pie crust to fit casserole dish.  I used a 10" x 10" Corning dish.  Pour filling into casserole dish, and top with 
crust fitting it to pan.  Make a few slits into the top, brush with egg wash, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees, or until bubbling, and brown on top.  

Ok.  This is the first time I have ever posted a recipe, so if it's wonky, please let me know.   I hope you try it, and like it as much as we do.  We love it!  

By the way, a big thank you to those of you who have joined my site, or left comments for me.  It warms my heart, really!! Thank you.  xxoo

Later.........  JO

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - thank you for your comment on my post about the blanket. I loved hearing how many other crafters approach a project like I do! I'm glad I'm not alone.

    This recipe looks delicious. I just love chicken pie. I'm not very good at making pastry so I always buy ready-made shortcrust pastry.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian - Yes, I also use the ready - made crust, as it is easier and just as good. I love this pie for dinner, with a nice crusty bread and maybe a little cranberry sauce. Thanks for visiting, as I so enjoy talking with other bloggers. xxoo. JO

      Delete
  2. This is one great and gorgeous pie. Thanks for the recipe.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mum - thanks. Hope you try it and enjoy it. I love it. Looking forward to tomorrow's Tea Party with you and the others. It should be great fun. I'm having fun just getting ready for it. xxoo. JO

      Delete